There is an old adage -- Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO)!! RefWorks simply imports the data for each citation as it is supplied to it by the database. The database vendors don't always have accurate information in their systems. Consequently, data imported by RefWorks may need to be corrected. Or, you may want to add notes, URLs, attachments to the citations. It's very easy to edit citations in RefWorks:
- To the right of each citation, you will see an "Edit" icon.
- When you click on this icon, a detailed form will display in which you can edit and add information.
- Note that there are many, many fields in this form. Consequently, there is a great deal of data that you can add to the citation, as well as edit the existing data.
- At the top of the form, you have the option to select a style manual that you prefer to use. If you select a specific style, green check marks will display next to the fields that particular style will want to use when formatting citations. If you click on the green check mark, you will be taken to the bottom of the display where you will get specific information related to how the style will use that information.
- When you are done editing a citation, click on the "Save Reference" button. If you try to leave the editing area before you save the citation, the system will ask you to confirm that you want to leave before saving.